Monday, May 9, 2011

Ten Miler Training...Or Lack Thereof

Once again, my plans to run all over Fort Bragg were foiled by the First Sergeant's plans for a"fun run." I think the word "fun" needs to be more closely examined. On a postive note, the pace wasn't insane and impossible to maintain, like it has been in the past. I even felt as though I could call cadence... almost...I wish we had gone further though. Maybe I'm gradually becoming addicted to a "runner's high." Perhaps that term isn't just urban legend, as I had previously believed.

Gym time was outstanding. I began a routine presented in the May issue of Oxygen magazine. The Hourglass Work Out, or something to that effect. I was pleased when I was nearing muscle failure during the second set of reps. It takes alot to get to that point, and I hate leaving the gym not feeling fatigued. This sounds likes I love to torture myself. I don't. Pain is how I gauge the intensity of my work outs. I'm sure anyone with extensive experience in sports medicine would disagree with me and give me a speech about recovery, etc. BUT, the pain barometer method has always worked well for me, and until I find myself severely injured and staring into the eyes of doctor who probably "told me so," I'll continue. Tomorrow I get to superset a bunch of leg exercises, then plyometrics Wednesday. I don't remember the rest, and I'm too tired lazy to get the magazine out of my truck. If you're intrigued, and would like to see more, purchase the magazine.

Let's move on. Diet. Nutrition. I NEED to work on completely revise and start over on those areas. My journey to balance the enjoyment of food and the necessity of it just may begin sooner that I want. Seriously, why can't I say no to cookies? One of the captains in my unit brought in a plate of decadent, delightful, awe-inspiring chocolate chip cookies today. Instead of eating one or two and sharing the rest, I think I shared one or two and ate the rest. He said he put almond extract in them. I think almond extract is code for crack! Why else would I want them so badly? (Please take the crack comment with a grain of salt and don't call a substance abuse counseler on me. It's just  figure of speech lol) Speaking of cookies, check this woman out... http://sweetsugarbelle.blogspot.com/. If I worked anywhere near her, I'd really be screwed! But I'd be on a perpetual sugar high and just may not care lol.

Maybe if I hadn't skipped breakfast I'd have handled the cookies better. I just might experiment with the supplement concept, but only for when I'm in a hurry and can't cook something. Many of my diet pittfalls result from limited times and options. I guess the smart thing would be to plan ahead. Enter supplements... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment