Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Introduction to Insanity-I'm a Believer

Yesterday one of my fellow Noncomissioned Officers invited my platoon to do PT with his platoon. He said he was doing Insanity. He didn't have the video, but he had adapted the exercises from the videos for unit physical training.

I have never seen Insanity, but if it reflects the training we did yesterday, I am a believer!! Let me tell you, I have big, muscular legs. It takes a lot of effort for my legs to hurt after a lower body work out. I almost ALWAYS have to incorporate weights if I want to feel a burn in my lower half. Today, I am SORE. I'm not complaining, by any means. In fact, I'm pleasantly suprised, and excited, as I fully intend to own these DVDs. The NCO that conducted the training informed me that the DVDs are even harder. One of the (very physically fit) officers I work with said he has never completed an Insanity session without taking a break. I say, BRING IT!

On the downside of that, my eating yesterday was less than stellar. One of my coworkers went to Popeyes. The person that took her order gave her more than she ordered, for the same price. As a result, she was giving away the extra. I WANTED to decline the officer, but can ANYONE say no to free, greasy, deep fried exstacy? I know I can't! Moving right along though, I am making up for it today, so far.

I haven't been running lately, aside from Monday. I HAVE been doing some serious strength training though. I was finally able to do my "two-a-days" today. My back and ab work outs were quite intense. I have discovered during this whole ten miler training process that I LOVE intense work outs. I have always done them, but lately the more I do them, the more I want to push myself. I am happy as hell to feel this way.

I have given much thought to my fitness goals after I complete the ten miler. I have decided on three long term goals for the time being. These goals include, being able to do pull ups (I can bench press my weight, but I can't do a pull up. If killing Bin Laden relied on my abilities to do pull ups he'd still be in his Pakistani mansion), being able to do push ups non stop for a minute straight, (since that is soon going to be the new Army standard) and a 14 minute two mile run.

For as long as I've been in the Army, I've never put much thought into my training. I did what I needed to do to maintain my weight, or lose, if necessary, but I was never very deliberate about the whole process. The ten miler training has inspired me to approach fitness differently, to have a plan for my routines, and to refine my diet (this is so far my biggest hurdle).

I would like to hear from my readers, what are your goals? What are your plans to meet these goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment